Thursday, February 18, 2010

Gratitude - I always have to learn things the hard way.

Do you ever have those days when you just feel off. I call them my "Bad Mommy Days", well today was one. I am someone who needs a shower to feel human in the morning and today I woke up late and missed my chance before taking the kids to school. The rest of the day kinda went downhill from there. Noah seemed extra naughty today. My idea of getting Sofia's hair done in braids turned into a leg locking, screaming, crying fight that ended with no braids. And Lincoln who is usually my rock decided to be on one today. I yelled way to much, got frustrated way to much, had a fuse that was way to short and was not at my best to say the least. It seemed like everything I did today could not be done right.

Tonight we were on our way to a fundraiser for a family in our stake that suffered the loss of their father and almost their mother. After the day I had and the pity party I was having. I was excited to be able to go support a wonderful family and put my focus on something more positive. On our way we hit some traffic on the freeway and were only able to go about 10 or 15 miles per hour. The cars were stopping in front of us and we slowed and John had almost come to a complete stop, when BAMMMM!! We were hit from behind twice. I have only been in, now two, car accidents and this is the first (hopefully the last) one with all of my most precious things in the car with me. I don't want to be overly dramatic but I knew fear in that moment like I never have before. When I turned around and saw all of my children safe and unhurt I knew gratitude like I never have before.

I know I have always been a little hard headed and not the easiest person to teach. So I know that getting hit by a car may have been the Lords only way :) I am not saying I wasn't grateful for all I had before today I just think today I lost my way, so a little nudge was needed. I am so grateful for the opportunity I have to be a mother to my wonderful kids. I am grateful to John for being such a wonderful Father and for working so hard so that I can stay home with our children. I am not perfect and will never be. I hope that tomorrow I will yell less, get frustrated less, have a longer fuse and will try harder to be the mother and wife my family needs. So grateful for more days to become the person I can be.

4 comments:

Jen said...

I'm so glad you are all ok! Stuff like that is always so scary.

Unknown said...

We all have those days where we feel like a failure.Sometimes we have to be hit upside the head (or rear ended) to be reminded why we're here and what our purpose is. Hope you have a better day!

The Bullards said...

What a good perspective, I need those not-so-subtle reminders more often than I should. It is reasurring to know that I am not alone in the occasional (or the often) 'bad mommy days'. Thanks for helping me think about who & what I am grateful for!

Kristin said...

I'm glad you're changing your blog. This was a great post and is so much how I've been feeling lately. It's so nice to know I'm not the only one with days like this (minus the car accident). So glad you're all safe.